Sometimes you get into a dark place and feel empty, or maybe you’ve never felt connected to spirit before. Here are some practical ways to connect to spiritual perception and feel inspired.
1. First of all, don’t give in to fear. When you’re feeling down you might be afraid to seek spiritual feelings because the risk of disappointment is worse than the emptiness. You have to get over this hump and take a chance in order to feel better.
2. Remind yourself what it feels like to be inspired. If you’re feeling empty, you might be desperate to feel something good, and this will help.
Close your eyes, breathe deeply and think hard about a time when you did feel inspired or excited by something — anything. Try to replicate the feeling, the same way you can “hear” your favourite song in your mind if you want. Imagine the excited, inspired feeling in a detailed way until you can actually feel it right now, in the moment. It really is possible to simulate good feelings, like giving yourself goosebumps, which will cause a release of dopamine in the brain. This is a good thing, so practice until you get it!
3. Next, turn yourself on, spiritually. Start by working with energy. Ground yourself by pulling energy up from the earth, with two feet planted on the ground. Then push this energy up through your body and out the top of your head, cycling it back to the universe. Imagine the whole cycle flowing through you.
You can also try to see energy or auras from your own hands. When I do this, I see energy like sparks flying off my fingers. Just stare gently, slightly unfocused, and be open to feeling vision rather than physically seeing vision, if that makes sense.
4. Now you’re ready to ask spirit to help you feel or perceive something spiritual. Just put the intention out there and be open to receive.
5. Finally, follow your request up with the simplest of prayers: Breathe in, thinking thank you. Breathe out, thinking bless you. Think about the big cycle of give-and-take in the universe, and be assured that feeling connected IS possible.